Increase Your Websites Reach With Directory Submissions.
The benefits of directory submission for SEO is two-fold.
- Firstly you get your website content seen by visitors outside of your own blog’s circle or reach.
- Secondly, quality SEO backlinks that are ‘dofollow’ help increase your PageRank.
Blog directories are essentially a large database that lists websites based on their primary content into categories.
Directory submission is therefore the process of listing your website to these directories or databases under a content appropriate category. What is your website essentially about?
Many large directory websites were hit hard from Google Panda updates, that brought about a change to Google’s search results ranking algorithm. The change lowered the rank of low-quality site pages, and promoted high-quality website pages higher in search results. The directory sites affected the most were generally automated; meaning anyone could list anything under any category, with no regards to accuracy of information or good SEO practices.
These days, quality directories are monitored manually, so not open to poor practices, such as spamming and therefore can be a great source of SEO friendly backlinks, referred to as inbound links.
Even so, before listing your website or pages to any directory, research the directory before submitting anything. The following list is what should be looked at prior to listing your website:
- Directory category classifications available,
- Number of websites listed under the category relevant to yours,
- PageRank of the directory site
- Alexa rank, and
- Number of indexed pages in Google.
The following checklist is what you should have saved ready for most directory submissions:
- Your websites URL.
- Your website’s blog’s RSS feed URL.
- Your website’s social profile URL’s for at least the 3 most popular social media sites; Google+, Twitter and Facebook.
- A description of your website’s content, or a statement in 300-500 words explaining what your website is about.